POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object oriented features : Re: object oriented features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object oriented features
From: John VanSickle
Date: 22 Aug 2000 18:05:29
Message: <39A2F9B6.8292AE67@erols.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
> wrote:
>
> > BTW, the transform you mentioned would probably be better implemented as
> > a macro, but I think it's been done.
>
> It has been done as a macro. There are three transforms I am
> considering:
>
> axis_rotate AMOUNT, AXIS  Rotates around a specified axis.

AKA the AxisRotate() macro in the Thoroughly Useful Macros;

> directional_scale AMOUNT, DIRECTION  Scales in a certain direction(like
> in the LiquidSpray include and the particle_stretch feature in my
> particle_system patch).

AKA the Stretch() macro in the Throughly Useful Macros;

> coordinate_system X, Y, Z  Takes three vectors for the new directions of
> each axis. This would make operations like shearing a lot easier.

AKA the Matrix() macro in the Thoroughly Useful Macros.

> These could all be done with macros, but might be nice if available
> built-in. Rotate, scale, and translate could also be done as macros(and
> maybe they would have been if macros had existed at the beginning), all
> that is really necessary is the matrix transform.

Quite true.

However, the current situation (a few language features, plus a few
augmenting macros) seems to be getting everyone's scenes together.
Adding the above features will make things parse slightly faster, but
will have zero impact on rendering speed (because internally everything
is boiled down to one matrix).

Regards,
John
--